Update for Berkley and Surrounding Area Covid-19 Community Support Group.
Our community has really pulled together. Through this mutual aid group we are building a self-supporting community, providing and accepting practical and emotional support, including:
- Deliveries available for all local shops
- Social contact through Facebook groups, Zoom for groups to meet online and friendly phone conversations
- Subsidised Ready Meals and Booster Box of veg and basics
- Help with any barrier to Shielding or Social Distancing
- Opportunities to make deliveries, make PPE, talk to people, facilitate social contact and shape what we can provide.
New number for Lucy's phone team: 01453 270067 (please don't use the old ones).
Facebook Group & Page: Berkeley and Surrounding Area Covid-19 Community Support
Any updates will be in the May edition of the Berkeley Flyer, which will be online only and can be found at www.theberkeleyflyer.co.uk
Every day, more services are available from our fantastic local businesses, we have funding from GCC/SDC, and support from the town and parish councils.
Assume pay by phone unless otherwise stated.
Delivery to Extremely Vulnerable Only
- Berkeley Co-op - 01453 810263
- Town Council - 01453 511964
- Weekly booster box of fruit, veg and basics made by Gord, worth £3 at budget prices. Available to all for a donation whenever able, free if struggling financially.
- Gord's Veg, cash, new number - 07713 979803
- Berkeley Bakery - 01453 297415
- Clayton House Meats - 01453 511399
Essential basics box £25
- Severn Vale Community Kitchen - 01453 708338. 7 Ready Meals £25, Food Boxes £10.50/£6.
- Sally at Ham - Pay online
- Kitts Green Nursery - 07774 108172
- One Stop, Cash, 01453 810256
- Mace, inc newspapers, cash or pay in shop - 01453 811301
Ring Lucy's phone team for help with everything else: 01453 270067
Pharmacy, Mace, One Stop, Dock Shop, Aldridges, Ye Olde Shoppe etc.
PROBLEMS AFFORDING FOOD?
Negotiating the benefits system can be complicated and off putting, but the Citizens's Advice 0808 800 0510 and 0808 800 0511, and P3 0808 168 2443, can help advise which benefits you may be eligible for, and provide help with filling in forms. We have volunteers that can help with forms if you prefer.
Stroud District Foodbank provide emergency food parcels for those in food crisis and they deliver, all they need is a referral. Please do make use of this service if you are running out of food. Justine, our Town Clerk on 01453 511964, can provide a referral, or if you prefer you can ask your GP, P3 or Citizens Advice Bureau. Plans are underway to have a Stroud District Foodbank drop-in centre permanently located in Berkeley subsidised by Magnox for local people. If funds allow, Booster Boxes will continue until this is in place. We are determined to ensure nobody goes hungry.
Free weekly Booster Box - fruit, veg and basics delivered, put together by Gord, but order through Justine at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 01453 511964. If the phone is on answerphone, please leave a message.
Berkeley Town Council and Gordon from Greens the Grocer will be providing a weekly 'Booster Box' of vegetables and basics, delivered free to anyone who needs it throughout the Berkeley Vale area.
Worth £3 at budget prices, it will combine a changing range of every day essentials.
In these difficult times, all calls and emails will treated sensitively and confidentially. Nobody will be asked to give any details beyond their name and address so the 'Booster Box' can be delivered by our volunteers.
If you want a box but would prefer to pay you can make a donation, please discuss with Justine when you call.
Call by 11am to have your box delivered after 3pm on the same day.
Deliveries will be Tuesdays – Thursdays and will start again on Tuesday 14th April.
AGE UK Gloucestershire
During Covid19 AGE UK have adapted their support and they want to let local communities know that they are here to help. They have a variety of resources that they are keen to share with the communities.
- They have an information and advice line where anyone (older people and their families) with an issue can call and get free advice – 01452 422660
- They have set up a Freephone line if any older person is feeling lonely and wants a chat with one of our staff or volunteers – 0800 298 0579
- They are also running an online social group which older people can join, get and share info and ideas on staying occupied, there are quizzes and discussion groups. https://www.facebook.com/groups/gloucestershirespringboard
- They are promoting a campaign to Greet Your Street at 11am to get neighbours socializing on their doorsteps; we have posters that we can send out for households to show they are involved.
- There is also a lot of advice and information on our website: www.ageukgloucestershire.org.uk